Friday, May 7, 2010

The Big 3 and Elections


Today i received a mailfrom a friend wishing me belated happy bday and asking me how it felt to be 30! In an age where a one year anniversary is marked as a milestone and calls for a huge celebration bash, i guess turning 30 is a milestone especiall since that’s nearing halfway to my maker…..however when I look back, the last 30 years seem like a haze now, not so clear but full. Happy years, carefree and years spent on creating the foundation of who I am, how i think and what i believe in.

Frankly speaking a few years back whenever I thought of turning 30 I kept thinking that’s HUGE!!! However, when it actually dawned it was just another year just another number, I didn’t cry buckets full for turning 30 nor did I embrace it with cheer, it wasn’t anything I could get worked up or excited about.

I just kept thinking "Miles to go before I go to sleep"......I have loads of responsibilities to take care of and some of my own dreams to be dealt with before I go meet my maker and the years are rolling out.

To tell you the truth, I think I might just enjoy my 30's a hell of a lot, upto my 20's it was always good behaviour, obedience and marks, in my 20's when I got a job it was always about independence, marriage and friends but in my 30's I guess its going to be family, friends, money and ME.

I have now arrived at an age where I have a lot of roles to play but am equipped with the safe knowledge that if someone can’t accept me then its not personal and its not hatred. A sort of complacence towards the fact that life can not be perfect, if anything it is always the opposite. An acceptance of the fact that i shall never have an hourglass figure but i will always beliked for my cheerful disposition (when i am in possession of it!). :)

By the way, to digress a bit, the results for UK’s 2010 elections are to be out today. Despite close to 500 out of 650 votes counting completed in the morning, the country saw a sort of stalemate with no clear majority. However, at this point, it seems clear that it is highly unlikely for Brown to come back, unless of course he is able to strike a deal with the Liberal Democrats. (The Legend on the side is from BBC at 10 am EST)

The election results do not hold much of an interest to me; the impacts afterwards are what I am more interested in. Each of the parties had promised more jobs to locals, cuts on outsourcing and of course more stringent labour and immigration laws. This was also the first time in political history that the previous government did not give a spending review before campaign and so during the campaigns the parties were not able to talk on their plans for price cuts, government costs and spending. Taking a view of the dire economic conditions of last year, I guess we are to be faced with quite a bit of an awakening.

The HSMP visa which used to be an easy enough affair to attain now has changed rules and is no longer easy. This before the elections, I can only wonder at what nasty surprises are pending for people like Shaiwal and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment