Thursday, June 24, 2010

Colleagues and work

Prioritization, time management, juggling multiple work items…..all the key words to what you actually learn in MBA. Other than networking of course but then let’s not go there shall we? First semester of MBA I remember were sleep deprived days filled with activity and some of which at the time I thought was completely useless. Didn’t realise until later years that the idea was to stress you out, so that you learn to work under stress and how to work optimally under stress.

Later years once I realised this prime piece of information, I continually flaunted it in the face of my MBA aspiring acquaintances, constantly reminding them that, “THIS is what you would primarily learn in an MBA.” The underlying statement being that “I” had already learnt this.

Perhaps the years untaught me or perhaps I never quite learnt it properly in the first place. Now, I find myself floundering. Hmm……. I am confident that I won’t fall flat on my face but the challenge of ensuring it, exists. :)

By the way, I am impressed by the professionalism my fellow colleagues show. Accurate in time and in the number of hours that are put in at work, they further demonstrated to me that sometimes (not saying all coz I don’t know if that is the case) their moral fabric was better stitched than mine. The topic came up about claiming expenses and how broadband was one of the items you could claim for. As soon as I heard that, I was mentally berating myself for having taken the broadband connection in Shaiwal’s name. Not sure if I would have gone to claim or not since I don’t work from home at all but still my first reaction was unhappiness at not being able to claim. My colleagues then went on to say that you need to be fair though about claiming broadband and that 50% was fair if you were a person who worked from home at high frequency and not more than that!!! Now, had I been a person who was working from home at frequent intervals then I wouldn’t be bothering about 50% or not unless expressly told by the company that this is the limit to which you can claim!

The other side of the coin -

A colleague of mine wanted to watch the world cup which was being telecasted during afternoon hours, so he came in an hour early, went in between to watch the match and then came back to do one more hour extra, so that he did indeed put in his 7 hours that he was supposed to. I kept thinking that bloody its after all only 7 hours, in India we clock in 9 hours on good days and that doesn’t even include travel of 1 hour on an average. If the system is such that it is designed well enough to make you work, however much your body and mind can actually take and not more, then the number of people adhering to the system automatically increases.

Anyways tommorow its Friday my fellow readers and then its weekend time!!! This time a well earned one I must say.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. its time to concentrate on the weekend.. Njoi, Relax and be happy... :-) Nanree ellam solranga, paar da !! :-P

    ReplyDelete